Saturday, April 20, 2013

New York State Lobby Day 2013

   On Tuesday, April 15, I was honored to participate in the American Heart Association's New York State Lobby Day in Albany. I started off the day with other advocates at a small session teaching us how to communicate with lawmakers effectively. We also reviewed our "asks" for the day: asking law makers to support the CPR in School Bill (making it mandatory for students to learn CPR as a graduation requirement), and asking lawmakers to support a Pulse Ox Bill (making it mandatory for all newborns to be screened for heart defects using a pulse ox).
   Afterwards, I headed over the the official Hands Only CPR station, where I volunteered to teach people walking by Hands Only CPR. Michele, the woman in charge of the station was so nice, and I had a great time taking an hour from my day to teach people CPR.



Teaching Hands Only CPR to people!

   After teaching CPR, I went straight to my first meeting. I first met with Lisa Lombardo, who was a staff member in Assemblyman Thiele's office. The meeting went well, and I even gave her the link to my Southampton High School CPR video, which you can see here. Later, I met with Senator LaValle who I was thrilled to hear supported both bills one hundred percent! After our meeting, I even got to discuss school and my plans for the future with him! He was such a nice man! Next, I met off the floor with Assemblyman McDonough and I got some good vibes from him! My last meeting of the day was with a staff member of Senator Martins, and it seemed to be a positive meeting!


With Senator LaValle after my meeting with him!


In front of the Lobby Day sign!

   I had such a great time at the Lobby Day! I would like to thank Julie Hart and Robin Vitale for inviting me to take part in a day dedicated to raising awareness and making a difference. I also want to thank Jessica DiMeo who attended all of the meetings with my mom and me. She was wonderful company and helped us so much! Lastly, thank you to my mom who drove me to Albany and allowed me to take part in Lobby Day. Soon, I'll be able to drive myself! :)

XOXO
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment