Saturday, April 20, 2013

NYSSMA Solo Festival

   On April 20, I participated in my ninth New York State Solo Music Association (NYSSMA) solo. At NYSSMA, students in grades K-11 perform a solo piece (for whichever instrument they play) so that they may be adjudicated by a professional musician. NYSSMA is also the first step to participating in festivals such as HMEA (Hampton Music Educator's Association), SCMEA (Suffolk County Music Educator's Association), and All State Festivals.
   Even though this was my ninth NYSSMA solo, this was my first time performing for an adjudicator in the hopes that I would be selected for All State. To participate in All State, both your solo and sight reading scores must be close to perfect. 
   I sang a level VI piece called Les Berceaux, composed by Gabriel Fauré. If you've never participated in NYSSMA, level VI is the highest, and most difficult, level offered at the festival. And for those of you who know me personally, know I don't speak French. But the journey to NYSSMA was interesting to say the least, considering I was singing a difficult piece in a language I have never spoken before. Even though there was some pressure to do well in order to go to All State, I went into my adjudication ready to do my best and have fun, because essentially, that is what NYSSMA is all about. 
   I would love to thank my choir director, Mr. Tartaglia for pushing me to do NYSSMA this year. I almost didn't participate this year because of a busy schedule, but I am glad I did. Next I need to thank the wonderful Peter Ludlow, who accompanied me as I sang for the adjudicator. And of course, thank you to my parents for giving me wonderful opportunities, such as NYSSMA, and for always believing in me.
   I wish nothing but good luck to all students who are participating in NYSSMA this weekend. I hope that you receive a high score that will take you to a festival such as SCMEA, HMEA, or All State!

XOXO
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment