Sunday, March 17, 2013

Welcome Home, Miss America!

   Whew! What a busy week it has been! This past week my schedule has been filled with March Madness Spirit Week preparations, Varsity Softball practice, play rehearsals, and a chorus concert. Despite the hectic week I had, I still made time to take a trip to the New York Fashion Institute of Technology and attend the Miss America Homecoming Show on Saturday, March 16.
   The show was AMAZING and I was glad to reconnect with some of my Outstanding Teen and Miss New York friends! Not only that, but I was able to meet some really cool people at the Welcome Home After Party!

With Alexa Moley, Miss Richmond County's Outstanding Teen 2012. I met Alexa at the Miss New York's Outstanding Teen Pageant in June and we became great friends! She is such a sweet, funny, and genuine girl. I am happy to call her my friend!

With Ashley, Miss Staten Island's Outstanding Teen 2013. I didn't even have to approach this sweet girl because as soon as she saw me she treated me like she had known me my whole life. It was such a pleasure to meet her, and I cannot wait to compete with her in July!

With Claire Buffie, Miss New York 2010, Acacia Courtney, Miss NYC 2013, and Kira Kazam, Miss Cosmopolitan 2013! 

In front of the official Miss America Homecoming backdrop!

With Kate Shindle, Miss America 1998! A few years ago, I had the privilege of watching her perform in Legally Blonde on Broadway. I was so excited to learn that she would be attending the Homecoming! After taking a quick photo with her, I gave her a Red Dress Pin and explained my platform, Heart U, to her. She seemed really excited to learn about it, and she promised me she would look up the Go Red for Women Initiative when she got home. I even talked about my Broadway idol, Sutton Foster, with her! She was such a thrill to speak with!

With our Miss America. It took a few minutes to track her down for a picture- she was being pulled in every direction! But after taking a quick picture with Mallory, I gave her a Red Dress Pin and explained my platform to her. She didn't have much time to chat, but she seemed interested in what I had to say! 

With Shannon Oliver, our new Miss New York! She is so talented! I gave Shannon a Red Dress Pin as well, and she seemed very interested in my platform. Like Mallory, Shannon was being pulled in many directions, so I was happy to have gotten a picture with her!

One of the people I was most excited to meet was Rachel Wyatt, Miss America's Outstanding Teen 2013. I had heard that she was an unbelievably sweet girl, and I can testify to that! Not only did she take a picture with me, but I also had a wonderful conversation with her about my involvement in the Miss America's Outstanding Teen Program and my platform. She was very sweet when she thanked me for the Red Dress Pin I gave her!

With Miss New York's Outstanding Teen 2012, Shannon Ryan, and Miss Queen's Outstanding Teen 2013, Katherine McQuade! Great to see you both again!

Again with Shannon, Miss New York's Outstanding Teen. What a sweet, sweet girl! As soon as she saw me, she came straight up to me and gave me a big hug! Shannon is probably one of the nicest girls I have met, and I'm so glad I got to see her last night! I can't wait to see her again at the Miss New York and Outstanding Teen workshop!

   There were even more people at the Homecoming Party! Ericka Dunlap, Miss America 2004, Caressa Cameron, Miss America 2010, Susan Powell, Miss America 1981, and other former and current state titleholders! All in all, I thought it was an eventful and fun night!

Welcome Home, Miss America!

XOXO,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment